Friday, October 31, 2014

Voices from the Past

Every once in a while we will get a note from someone who used to frequent Joel's Place and has now moved on in their life.   Kelli received one such letter this week from someone who needed a letter of recommendation for some future opportunities.  I thought I would share what I could:


Hey Kelli-
     Thank you for your time, and on such short notice. I appreciate it! I feel you can write a strong recommendation because I spent a lot of time at Joel's Place, and you can really see how I have grown mentally and academically throughout the years.
     I considered Joel's Place a second home when I was struggling at home and in school during my first two years of high school. Chris helped me a lot by tutoring me and Leah and you and Emma have been important people in my life, you guys really helped me out through a hard time. My freshman year, I was suspended from school and chose to do my about 20 hours of community service at Joel's Place, and the work I did there and the help I got there really helped me. It was during a time when my brother was very sick and my grades suffered, and I got in trouble for partying. I really felt the support and care you all gave me, like a family. You guys do wonderful things there, giving out free meals, tutoring, having awesome teen events, and helping underserved youth like myself in Fairbanks. Joel's Place helped me turn my life around.
But anyways, I wanted to share that with you so you could think about that. I really grew during my time at Joel's Place. Now, I am doing so much better- I feel like this is the happiest I've been in years. I'm in a really good place, applying for colleges, scholarships, being a part of the community, and learning more about my culture. 


 __________________________________


     I can wax poetic about the benefits to the community that Joel's Place provides.  I can write grants, raise funds, and put on events...but it is all empty unless lives are being changed.  This has been the best news that we have received in a long time and I am so proud to be part of an organization that has such a well-established legacy of transforming the lives of Alaskan youth.


     Special note: If you are a JP alum, write us and tell us where you are and how you are doing.  We would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment